Pages

Thursday 28 March 2013

Birthday Cake

Son #1's birthday is coming up and I really wanted to make him a birthday cake from scratch. A few weeks ago, we received a flyer from the Save-On-Foods grocery chain and as soon as he saw the Angry Birds cake, he kept saying that he wanted it. I considered making it myself: bake the cake, frost and then make some Angry Birds characters either by making cake balls or rice krispy treat balls covered with fondant. Might I add that the flyer also had a 10% off coupon for the cake? 10% = $3 off for this cake. Big money. I kept debating whether or not I should buy or make and even considered buying some plastic Angry Birds toys to put on the cake so that I wouldn't have to go through the hassle of making the cake/rice krispy balls.

Well, now it's Thursday and Son's birthday is on Saturday plus we're hosting Easter Brunch with the in-laws at our house on Sunday, Brother and Sister-in-law are coming in town, and Easter presentation at church on Friday (and Sunday but probably won't go to that one even though Husband is performing in both). Too much going on so off to Save-On-Foods I went to order the cake. The one by our house didn't have the Angry Birds one so while I was there, I picked up some mini marshmallows and a giant box of Rice Krispies, determined to make those Angry Birds balls and his cake last minute. When I got home, I decided to call the Save-On-Foods that is by my friend's house since I have to go there before Son's birthday for a baby shower. Success! I placed my order for the Angry Birds cake and will pick it up after the baby shower.

But now I feel guilty because I'm not baking his cake. AND I'm not even making any of the food. We're ordering pizza and I'm going to pick up a vegetable tray from Costco since they make it so well and I'm not sure how much time I'm going to have between the baby shower and the birthday to do it myself. This is all very odd for me since I almost always make all of the food myself. I'm one of those people who feel embarrassed to use boxed cake mix even though I do once in a while (lemon poppyseed bundt cake anyone? I just can't get it to taste the same when making from scratch). We're only inviting four of Son's friends and I'm pretty sure that they won't care either way. It's actually two of his friends but of course their siblings are coming since their parents' are close friends of Husband's and mine as well. We weren't even going to have a birthday party for him since he's only turning three but thought it might be fun to get together. Then I wanted to invite more of his friends but then it would have been hard to keep it small without hurting feelings.

So what is the point of this post? I don't know. Maybe I just felt like doing an online confessional since my overachieving self is feeling a tiny bit guilty.

I guess the plus side of ordering a cake is that I probably won't eat as much compared to if I had made it myself. I have this weird thing where I keep eating things that I bake, especially if I'm not satisfied with it, in case it might taste different or something each time I eat it. Oh wait, I'm planning to bake this cake for Sister-in-law's birthday on Monday but making the chocolate cake from scratch, of course ;)

At least the treat baskets I put together are pretty awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment