Pages

Tuesday 26 March 2013

CASB and being a mom

It just occurred to me that I should write about my experiences going through CASB (CA School of Business) while being a mom since my blog title is "Accounting Mommy" and all.

After graduating from university, I articled with a small local accounting firm. Since I was getting married the year after, I decided to delay my registration into Module 1 of CASB until after the wedding. There was a rumor that a guy had to write a module exam on the day of his wedding since he wasn't able to defer it - true or not, I wasn't going to go through that stress so CASB was delayed. Two years after our wedding, I became pregnant with my first! The first thing that my mom said to me when we shared the news with my parents was "what about your accounting course??" before she said congratulations :P Before I found out I was pregnant, my grandmother - whom I was very close to - passed away. I think this was around Mod 3. A few months after when I was starting Mod 4, my mother-in-law also passed away (I was about 2 months pregnant by then). Son #1 came 6 weeks early at the end of March - bad timing for everyone working at my office because of tax season but maybe good timing for me?? hee hee. Mod 5 was completed that fall, which included a trip to the Dominican Republic for my brother's wedding, and then the following year Mod 6 and then the UFE was written and passed! Oh and throw in moving into a new house during UFE Summer for fun because I'm crazy like that and enjoy stress. And then Son #2 joined us about a year after writing the UFE - AFTER I made sure that I passed.

So for anyone wondering if it is possible to get married and have a family while doing CASB, the answer is yes! But I have to say that I had a lot of support from my parents who helped to look after Son #1 and of course from Husband. There was also a lot of mental support from my family, friends, and coworkers who helped me to decide to finish and then write the UFE. There were so many times that I just wanted to stop pursuing the designation but luckily I had a lot of people encouraging me! It definitely wasn't easy and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I even told my newlywed coworker to put off having kids until after she passes the UFE haha. But with a lot of support and LOTS of prayer - I seriously asked everyone that I could to pray for me whenever I had to write an exam and truly believe that is a big part of why I passed - I did it. So don't be discouraged! Life happens but that doesn't mean you have to stop achieving things for yourself. I mean, my family is my biggest achievement, but you know what I'm getting at, right?

Anyway, Son #2 is crying and it's getting late so no time to edit my rambles above but I hope I encouraged at least one person out there!!

3 comments:

  1. I searched out strategies for completing CASB and being a mum and your blog came up. I didn't think it would be such a challenge to raise a newborn and complete CASB. I think work is easier!! Good on you for tackling such an undertaking and being successful at it! Thanks for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes me so happy! I would always try to search for other parents' experiences taking CASB and couldn't find any. It IS challenging, but it can be done. You just have to really push yourself. I mean, I'm sure it's different for everyone - you might not find it so challenging! Good luck :)

      Delete
    2. I should add that if you DO decide to have a baby (if you haven't already) then try your best to get back into it as soon as possible! I think that the longer you stay out of the game, the harder it is to get back. My biggest motivating factor in getting through CASB as soon as possible was the adoption of IFRS and having to write a UFE that had too much of it!!

      Delete