Pages

Wednesday 10 April 2013

Lemon = Spring


I was originally going to write a huge post about how busy I was, but no one wants to hear that right? So instead, I will write about some yummy desserts. This past Winter has been one of the worst ones that I can remember - and that's saying a lot seeing as I live in Edmonton, Alberta. The snow is finally melting but I can see that there is a chance of flurries this weekend. Seriously??

Side story: I was at Costco - by myself (!!!!!) - and realized that I should have went home and slept after I dropped the boys off at my parents' house. Son #1 did his usual opening our bedroom door and slamming it and yelling "all done sleep!" at 7:00 a.m. this morning. We're "late" sleepers and wish we could sleep until 8:00 a.m. or even 8:30 a.m. Do they have beds that are shaped like cages for toddlers?? Just kidding. While I was at Costco, I was in the dairy section and grabbed a 2L of 1% milk and then put it in my cart while looking at the organic milk that they offered at double the price. Then this lady looked at me and said in a very polite voice "excuse me, this is my cart." I looked down and noticed that there was a very expensive purse along with a lot of groceries that I did not purchase. I quickly apologized and put my milk into another cart - which, again, was not mine. Before the rightful owner of that cart noticed, I pulled the milk jug out and giggled "heh heh, maybe I should get some more sleep!" and then speed walked to my cart which was outside of the dairy section. That was so bad. And I didn't even have my boys with me so that I didn't seem so crazy. See? I have kids. I'm tired and have so much on my mind! Oh, I see. All is forgiven.

Anyway, for a little bit of Spring even though it still looks like Winter outside, I made some nice lemony desserts: lemon tarts and lemon cupcakes. I usually make the Tartine lemon bar recipe, but find it a bit sweet for my taste so I used this blogger's recommendation to use the Tartine crust with the Cooks Illustrated topping. I really liked it! It was like a lemon meringue pie without the meringue, in a square form. Then I made these cupcakes (the dense cupcake recipe) with my own frosting. The cupcakes had a good flavor but were a bit too dense for me. I might try the fluffy cupcake recipe next time. Maybe if I used the time that I did for baking to take a nap instead...

No comments:

Post a Comment